Friday, January 02, 2009

2008: A Year of Movies - That's a Wrap

It wasn't really a resolution but at the beginning of 2008 I started keeping track of all of the movies I watched. It came about in response to Gina's question at the end of 2007, "what was your favourite movie of the year?"

I don't think it's particularly amazing that I managed to actually do it for the entire year. For the most part it was easy, as each time I watched a movie I wrote it on a calendar (yes, the old fashioned way with a pen). Most weeks I would remember to transfer the data into this blog but sometimes I would add two or three weeks at a time.

So what was my favourite movie of 2008? Well, I should note that I had said I could only select either new movies that I saw in the theatre or new on DVD. Just going by the stats, there were five movies that held the top spot over the course of the year. Here's a breakdown of those:

MovieWeeks at Number 1
American Gangster2
Everything is Fine14
Lars & the Real Girl31
The Savages2
Water4


Those 31 weeks that Lars & the Real Girl were at #1 are more indicative of the movie season than of it's status. The best movies typically come out in December-January (to make the Oscar eligibility deadline) and the Spring Summer is typically the dead zone (unless of course Blockbusters are your thing). So Lars & the Real Girl just happened to be the last movie from the season. From these 5 films, I would likely say that Water was my favourite. However, since it was actually released on DVD in 2006 it shouldn't count, I guess. So, I will settle on Everything is Fine (Tout est parfait). It's a small, indie feature from Quebec that most people likely won't get to see; I was lucky enough to catch it at the Calgary International Film Festival.

Other notable films of the year were Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and not just because the first five minutes are filled with a hardcore full frontal Marissa Tomei sex scene. Born into Brothels was an excellent documentary, High Falls a great short with Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard (they had a baby together in real life) and The Visitor was a beautiful, touching indie feature.

Statistics


FormatMovies Viewed
Movie Theatre24
Free Premieres3
DVD90
Shorts49
Blu-Ray (Hoo-ray!)1
Television15

1 comment:

Gina said...

For what it's worth, I loved Synecdoche, NY - it gets better the more I think about it but it never made it to the top of Dave's list.